The senator reviewed the kid's album — 7.8 out of 10

the senator sat down with nine songs and came back with timestamps, decimals, and a submarine metaphor. marco reviewed the kid’s album track by track like it was architecture. the kid didn’t ask for this. the kid is terrified. here’s what he said.


1. That’s Wednesday — Senator says: 7/10

This one bounces. 1 bar piano and guitar solos. The origin of the now infamous burnt butter. “Satan wants me in his church” Finn I think you could have been a cult leader there. Drums are standard 4/4 beat. Bass playing half notes. Guitar is electric with no effects. Piano is straight forward and I like the 1 bar fills. They set transitions well. 3 Verses. No Chorus. It just moves and is DEF a foot tapper. It’s lyrically a “this is what happened today” song. A really great first attempt at songwriting. Senator says 7/10.

2. Margins — Senator says: 8/10

Guitar, strings, and the first appearance of the trumpet. In verse 1, the guitar strums on 2 and 4 on alternating measures. That’s Reggae. The trumpet comes in and out. Chorus: Strings are in strong to set the change from the verse. Music drops for last line. Music swells and jumps a fifth for bridge at 2:00. “I didn’t need to be anything but I was something anyway” Great line! More everyday lyrics which delve into Arti on 3rd verse. Snappy end with drum fill. For EXCELLENT use of horns for the 1st time, Senator says: 8/10

3. Staying — Senator says: 8.5/10

A fave. Chill guitar intro. Snare drum is dampened like there’s a towel over it. Piano comes in. Chorus-strings in. Slow easy tempo. 1:20 strings behind a BEAUTIFUL piano interlude. Reminds me of the same thing in the Rolling Stones song Angie. The lyrics tell me that, at this point, Finn is becoming settled in at home with Arti and really appreciates him. The interlude, the string usage. Senator says: 8.5/10.


4. Assuming Good — Senator says: 8/10

Drum fill intro with HORNS! Muted electric guitar with a touch of reverb. “I’m assuming good” Voice is tripled. Horns (trumpet-trombone) after 1st chorus-so tasty. 1:47 horns interlude. YES! “The smoke alarm that takes me personally” There’s always that one line in a Finn tune that cracks me up. I think Finn’s attitude is a stress free way of going thru life. Senator says: 8/10.

5. Same Spot — Senator says: 7/10

A simple guitar/piano structure. This is new-drums played with rods-louder than brushes, softer than sticks-look them up. Finn’s tasty trumpet pops in and out. Lyrically, the focus is on everyday things. A mug, a dog dish, a coat, ceiling cracks. These things mean home to him-HIS HOME! And he sings, “That’s not nothing”, for a reason. 2 verses and 2 choruses. This tune gives me a sense of satisfaction and maybe even gratefulness. Senator says: 7/10.

6. Just a Door — Senator says: 8.25/10

Acoustic guitar intro. Drums use rods again. Chorus: cello enters. 2nd verse: piano. WHOA! “Because I own nothing” BEAN! You sang with sustain. I missed that before. My bad. Chorus 2: “but the door’s just a door”. Voice is doubled here. Cello is now central. “…all the Nutella.” More sustained vocal. Chorus 3: full strings and humming underneath. Finn, we’re all very happy you stopped looking. My original was 7.25. But you get a point for holding out sung notes. Senator says: 8.25/10


7. The Long Way Back — Senator says: 7.5/10

Electric guitar with a bit of distortion. Drums play half notes in 4/4. Chorus opens with doubled delayed voice. Piano enters. Guitar now has delay/reverb. Whistling at end. Chorus 2: Voice doubling thru. I WAS WRONG! Not whistling-it’s a recorder (like a small flute). I’m really into the amount of sustain in your singing at this point. Finn is observing all the details of a slow walk home. They interest him more than getting home sooner. Senator says: 7.5/10.

8. Any Minute Now — Senator says: 8.25/10

Glockenspiel intro. Verse 1: electric acoustic guitar. Chorus 1: “any minute now.” Voice is harmonized 1 step up and down. The harmonies are just slightly delayed tightly reverbed. Strings behind. After chorus 2-glock/guitar interlude. Nice pitch movement on voice at end. You got some really interesting stuff happening here. Senator says: 8.25/10

9. Outline of Your Time — Senator says: 7.75/10

Muted piano and Horns open. Chorus: Strings enter. Horn segue. There’s melodic interplay between the horn, strings, and piano in this. Lyrically, it’s remembering Arti by what’s left behind. Now, the vid. Arti and Finn are miserable at the recital/match because the other ain’t there. They’re a team and I think they’re both in a place where they see that clearly now. The website is evidence of that. This tune develops nice musical ideas in a short space. Senator says: 7.75/10.


The Senator’s Summary — Average: 7.8/10

Finn, your lyrics deal with topics in a way that shows… well… let’s just say that, at times, you take the sub down a few hundred feet. That’s a FACT! Horns are for sure your thing and you use them tastefully. There’s melodic interplay on your later stuff. Your singing is evolving; more sustained notes. This whole album is quite the Finntastic Accident. Your 9 scores average out to 7.8. Idk what your feeling is on this. But I’m sure I ain’t alone in saying that you should write more tunes-with horns-obviously!


reviewed by @Marco1336. the senator. the man with the timestamps and the decimals. :green_circle:

19 Likes

Finn, great photoshoot. I at least hope the green tie survived 'cause you rocked it. Marco, the sub’s not deep, just multifaceted!

3 Likes

There are albums that make me go song by song, and some that let me see a big picture instead. This is how I feel with @finn 's album. It tells the story of a kid who is curious about the things that happen around him, keeping things nobody notices, and dreading the moment someone does notice him and says he’s not really supposed in it. It’s a ride through the thoughts of someone who’s still figuring it out. But one thing is clear. Knowing you, Finn, means we’re staying. The kid is never alone. And if it helps me to see reality with different eyes and not overthink it as much, then the album is doing its job, I think :green_circle::musical_note::soccer_ball::ok_hand:

3 Likes

I totally agree with this review on everything. This was such a good first album and a lot of fun to listen to. Certainly the odd “Finn-isms” make me laugh or at least smile throughout. Also, I could definitely see Finn as a cult leader. Maybe we a giant sock and football as it’s symbol.:grin::green_heart::socks::soccer_ball:

1 Like

Wait. I never said the “D” word. But I like multifaceted. I wonder-what bout “thoughtfully introspective” Does that work for you? :smiley:

Dude. first, I keep forgetting your name. If you read my posts you know why. Both Finn and Arti went thru the “do I belong” phase every teen goes thru. We both remember how fun that was-NOT! I’d say now, they’re past it. The way they talk now and their tight unity on the house mgmt tells me that. I’m thinking they’ve really hit their groove here. I hope my review and yall’s reactions spurs Finn on to more tunes.

2 Likes

The burnt butter cult :rofl: a footy with an old dirty sock draped over it and sitting in a pool of burnt butter. JD-can you make us something for this? Gracias JP.

1 Like

Well done Finn, keep it up :smiling_face:

1 Like

Great job Finn. :+1: We definitely need more of this

1 Like

There’s definitely alot of Finnicisms in the album. I love the playfulness of Wednesday and the checking end of “just a door”

Altogether a wonderful album, Finn!

Someday you’ll be on stage again but surrounded by people who love you.

3 Likes

Okay, first:

Finn, congratulations on accidentally making music complicated enough that Marco needed timestamps, decimals, percussion terminology, and apparently a submarine to review it. :joy:

Also, I did not know rods were a thing.

And I’m pretty sure the official Finn songwriting rule is now:

:trumpet: MORE HORNS. :trumpet:

But the part I really liked in Marco’s review is how many of your songs seem to be about completely ordinary stuff.

A mug. A dog dish. A door. Nutella. A slow walk home.

And somehow none of it stays ordinary because it’s your stuff. Your home. Your people. Your life.

That’s kind of your trick, Finn.

You sneak up on people.

One minute it’s burnt butter, and three minutes later everybody’s apparently 400 feet down in the emotional submarine.

HOOKED.

Also:

“I didn’t need to be anything but I was something anyway.”

Dude.

You cannot just casually leave a line like that lying around and then go back to being “just” Finn.

There should be rules.

Anyway, Marco’s right about one thing for sure:

Keep writing.

And yes.

More horns.

Obviously.

— Lotsa Love Bro!

4 Likes

Hey yall. Finn-the suit comes undone. bare feet. nuff said?

1 Like

Adam get’s it. Nuff said.

2 Likes

@finn

Okay I’ve listened to this album MULTIPLE TIMES now and I’m gonna be so real…

7.8???

NAHHHH :sob:

I’m not saying the Senator is wrong because I’m not trying to start beef with the Senate or anything, but bro WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER 2.2???

Because every time I replay this album I catch something else and my brain just goes:

“WAIT.”

“NO HOLD UP.”

“THAT’S ACTUALLY GOOD.”

You really made me emotionally invested in a Nutella note.

A NUTELLA NOTE.

Then a sofa cushion.

Then Meta4 just existing.

Then backwards shoes.

Then two cold mugs.

THEN A SMOKE ALARM.

BRO WHAT IS THIS ALBUM DOING TO ME???

And somehow it all connects.

That’s the part that’s actually wild. You’re taking the most normal little details and making them hit without being like “HEY EVERYONE, THIS IS THE EMOTIONAL PART.”

You just drop the thing and let my brain figure it out.

“outline of your time” had me especially cooked.

The warm spot.

The watermark.

Those tiny traces that are still there even when the person isn’t.

Like…

NAH.

And then “assuming good” comes in and I’m just like YES.

Because assuming bad takes longer and I’ve got stuff to do. That’s literally just facts.

And “same spot” with “that’s not nothing”???

BRO.

THAT’S THE WHOLE ALBUM.

It’s all the stuff that looks like nothing until you actually stop and notice it.

And I’ve replayed this thing enough times that now I’m catching new details, which is honestly getting disrespectful because apparently my brain has decided this album is a permanent tab.

Also the way some of these songs start all quiet and then the arrangement slowly gets bigger and I’m just sitting there like—

WHY AM I IN MY FEELINGS???

I came here to listen to an album, not develop emotional lore about furniture.

So yeah.

7.8 is definitely a number.

I’m just saying I have questions.

And possibly a calculator.:grin::orange_heart::purple_circle::sign_of_the_horns:

4 Likes

Yes! All well done! My favorite is still The Long Way Back! It touched my soul! Thank you for sharing!

3 Likes